Rooksbridge Baptist Chapel
The Rooksbridge Baptist Chapel situated in Chapel Road just off the A38
Was founded by Thomas Salvidge of Grange Farm Rooksbridge, it was erected in 1852 and parts of it were extended an altered in 1897.
It is likely that the Jubilee Hall extension was added to the rear of the Building at this time? To coincide with the Silver Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Who were these Gentlemen? And what was the occasion? A caption on the original photo stated “Harvest home 190?” ?
Was one of these gents Thomas Salvidge, one of the founder members of the chapel?
The gent standing centre wearing a straw 'Boater' is believed to be Gilbert Gilling of Rooksbridge, grandfather of Andrew Gilling. The tall gentleman on the extreme left is thought to be George Benjamin Higgs Ham of rooksbridge? Father of Harold, Mike and David Ham.
From the records of known burials taken from gravestones at the rear of the chapel, it appears that the chapel was in use for religious ceremonies up until 1955
The last known burial at the chapel was Susan Annie Gillett in 1955.
The last persons known to worship at the chapel were: Mrs Alice Cox Body and Mrs May Burrows.
To the rear of the building is a garden of rest, where the monuments to those buried there are preserved
The small graveyard at the rear of the chapel
Also on display within the chapel is a brass plaque commemorating those residents of the parish who died while serving in the two world wars. Which was found in a shed behind Beaconsfield House in the late 70’s
!It is similar to the one in St Marys Church.
The wedding of Irene May Burrow to John William Somerville at Rooksbridge Baptist Chapel in 1948
Left to right. Jack Somerville Sarah Somerville Fred Somerville John Somerville Irene May Burrow Phyliss Burrow Reginald Burrow Charlotte Ann May Burrow.
Photo kindly sent in by Maureen J Goss of Combe Martin N. Devon. Daughter of Irene.
The Burrows family lived at 'Cootehorn' Farm in Rooksbridge Road.
Below is a RECORD OF KNOWN BURIALS . At the Rooksbridge Baptist Chapel.
To the rear of the baptist Chapel is a small graveyard. This has been respectfully turned into a garden of rest by the present owner. From the inscriptions on those gravestones which were able to be recovered and preserved, it appears that burials took place here from 1878 until 1955.
A list of the known burials is reproduced below.
Any further information regarding burials and people connected with the Baptist Chapel will be greatly appreciated and can be posted on the web site.
DATE OF DEATH (Taken from Gravestones only) 1850- 1984
SURNAME FORENAMES DATE AGE notes
Fackerell William 05/05/1896 62
Fackerell Louisa 25/08/1906 79
Banwell John 22/02/1929 73
Banwell Mary Ann 05/11/1938 84
Fry Rosina 26/07/1902 41 1.
Day William 27/04/1891 73 b. 01/12/1818
Day Mary 12/01/1905 86 b. 17/03/1819
Cox Day William 10/05/1927 75
Marks Earnie 03/03/1903 22
Marks Frederick 19/10/1913 72
Marks Elizabeth 14/06/1919 88
Salvidge Thomas 17/04/1889 70 2.
Churchill Minnie 10/12/1898 17 3.
Gillett Susan Annie 05/08/1955 4.
Salvidge Walter John 23/01/1919 44
Salvidge Sarah 16/02/1927 44
Clothier Edward 17/11/1898 75
Clothier Eliza 24/04/1913 83
Clothier Edward George 01/06/1913 40 5.
Body Churchill Charles 06/01/1917 83 6.
Body Churchill Annie 24/08/1917 83
Banwell Laura Maria 08/01/1878 1 7.
1 Rosina Fry wife of Sylvester Henry Pymm.
2 Thomas Salvidge founder member of the Church.
3 Minnie Churchill daughter of Thomas Salvidge.
4 Susan Annie Gillett niece of Charles Body Churchill
5 Edward George Clothier died in Salisbury South Africa.
6 Known as: Charles Body Churchill of Rooks Bridge.
7 3rd daughter of John & Mary Banwell died aged 14 months.
The above information is reproduced by kind permission of Dave Walden.